Wednesday 22 February 2017

A Breakfast in the Sky


You know that feeling when you're headed out and you know it's going to be awesome?

That's exactly how my sister and I felt when we skyrocketed ourselves to the Darwin Brasserie in the 'Walkie Talkie' building, a few weeks back.


But I won't deny it was the thought of a warming, hearty breakfast that was the catalyst to my excitement.

We had read countless times how good the food was in the Darwin Brasserie - the cosy little restaurant which perches itself above the Sky Garden.

And when we read there was avo toast, French toast and a mighty Full English on the menu, we were more than sold.

We booked ahead, wrapped up warm and set off to Bank.


The brasserie is 155 metres above London, offering some of the most beautiful views of the city.

Up here, you'll see the Shard, Tower of London, the Thames, the Gherkin and many more monuments from a bird's eye view.

But more on that later.


The Darwin Brasserie's interior is a comfortable mix of cosy and glamourous. You'll certainly feel fancy, but by no means out of place.

It's laid-back luxe at its finest and let's the seasonal, British-inspired food do all the talking.


Jess and I opted for the 'Ultimate Breakfast' which promises you a hot breakfast as well as endless continental offerings from fruit, muffins to pastries and yoghurt.

For the hot dish, I couldn't quite pass on a Full English with all the trimmings. It was a Saturday after all.

But Jess chose something a little more cosmopolitan with 'Pain Perdu' - French toast drizzled in maple syrup, lined with crispy bacon and sprinkled with crushed pecans.


I know it seems like everything I eat is 'delicious' (though in my defense, I seem to always be pretty lucky with where I choose to eat!), this truly was.

The service was also second to none. Our waiter was charmingly friendly and always on hand when we needed her.


Full tummies aboard, we wandered down to the Sky Garden to explore.

It was snowing extremely heavy outside which made the experience a little magical!

Jess is wearing:
Trench coat - French Connection
Scarf - Zara
Bag - Longchamp
Jeans - Topshop


It was an incredibly cold Saturday, and while my outfit may look ill-advised with that in mind, I was actually very warm.

I teamed my trusty Barbour wax coat with a 90's denim skirt from Topshop, a clean ivory high-necked jumper from Uniqlo and chunky brogues (also Topshop).

To punctuate a little fun into the look, I carried my day's essentials in my monochrome Cath Kidston tote.


The Sky Garden is so pretty and top of my list of things to do/ see when it's raining in London. The greenery is just beautiful and acts like a little Kew Gardens in the sky.

Bonus - it's totally free!


Back down on earth, we whisked ourselves off to Holborn for a dose of culture at the British Museum.

It's such a shame to think tourists flock far and wide to see this sight, and there it is on my doorstep and I had never even seen it. It's right by my University and also free entry so I will make it my mission to see this gem more, alongside many other London monuments I'm yet to see.

The architecture is impressively and proudly British and the art inside does not disappoint.

Just along the road you'll find The Hoxton hotel. Pop in here if you want possibly the best freshly pressed juice possible.

I had 'Glow' which contained pomegranate, red grapes, guava, ginger, lime, rose and collagen. I'm not even kidding when it seriously was one of the best things I've tasted (although whether it actually gave my skin a glow or not is debatable).


We almost dozed off after having one of the most blissfully relaxing Saturdays each of us had had in a while.

Can't every Saturday be like this - or every day?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I try to reply to all of them so be sure to come back to see! :)

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig